Stomach ulcer is normally caused because the inner lining of the stomach is damaged and injured which causes unbearable pain. In medical terms It’s also known as Peptic ulcer. Basically Inner lining damage is usually caused by taking many NSAIDs (Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) pain reliever drugs or due to H. pylori (Helicobacter pylori) infection which damages stomach tissues. Stomach ulcers can be treated in many ways including medicines etc.
When you suffer with pain before bed time which affects your sleep or may not allow you to sleep comfortably, you have to take some necessary steps and follow a healthy routine such as good sleeping position, eating healthy food, a environment of your bedroom, exercises etc. which lower stomach ulcer pain and make you comfortable and relax. All these are discussed below.
1. Sleeping Positions:
Sleeping position made effective relief in ulcer pain. Good position restricts acid reflux and helps to maintain acid in its original position. You should try below mentioned sleeping position which are:
- Supine position: It is a back lying position. In this head, back, hips and back part of the foot touches ground. This position prevents acid from reaching the ulcer and makes you comfortable.
- Left side lying position: This is the best position to sleep because our digestive system layout is lying on the left side causing less pressure and less ulcer pain.
- Avoid prone position: It is a stomach lying position. In this face, chest, knees and toes touch the ground. It’s better to avoid sleeping in this position because it is not good for stomach ulcer and other stomach problems like GERD.
2. By taking healthy foods in dinner:
- Foods that prevent or heal stomach ulcer pain: Food that should be a part of our diet at dinner that helps to decrease gastric juice formation. These foods include Green vegetables like (Brussels, sprouts, spinach, cabbage etc.), Legumes (Peanuts, kidney beans, Black-eyed beans, Black beans, Navy beans etc.), Fish, Eggs, Fruits, Green Tea.
- Foods that avoid stomach ulcer pain: Food that should be a part of our diet in dinner because these foods increase gastric juice formation and cause ulcer pain. These foods are Milk, Cream, Alcohol, Coffee, Tea, Fatty Meats, Chocolates, French Fries.
3. Best environment for sleeping:
- Cool Temperature of your bedroom: Set your room temperature cool between 65-68°F or 18-20°C.
- Black-out your bedroom: Try to dark your room as much as possible. Use light blocking curtains and remove light sources like night lights and LED display clocks etc.
- Turn-off noisy machines: Turn off all electronic and mechanical machines that produce sound and produce disturbance.
- Use a comfortable bed/ mattress: Use a comfortable bed or mattress for sleeping makes you and your stomach relax.
4. Yoga exercises before going to bed:
Yoga heals stomach ulcers very fast and efficiently. Try these yoga exercises 1-5 minutes before going to bed to lower the acid reflux and decrease formation of gastric juice.
- Treats stomach problems like GERD or ulcer.
- Help to lose weight.
- Keep stomach, liver, kidney and pancreas healthy.
- Best for diabetic patients.
- Treats gas or constipation problems.
- Helps in treating acidity issues.
- Treat constipation.
- Heal ulcers and colitis.
- This Keeps your digestive system much more active and healthy.
- In most cases this is beneficial for healing stomach ulcers.
- Beneficial for stomach problems.
- Prevents constipation.
- Decrease pressure on the stomach.
- Treat stomach problems like ulcer or GERD.
- Improves Digestion.
5. Meditation for stomach ulcers:
Doctors prescribe you medicine for reducing discomfort or pain of stomach ulcer and help to sleep comfortably. Following medications help to get rid of ulcer pain and helps to treat your ulcer symptoms and makes you comfortable and relaxed while you are sleeping.
- Antibiotics to treat H. Pylori infection: If stomach ulcer is caused by H. Pylori bacteria and doctors prescribe antibiotics to kill this bacteria and heal your stomach ulcer pain. Antibiotics are amoxicillin, clarithromycin, tetracycline, levofloxacin, metronidazole, and tinidazole etc.
- Medicines that control gastric acid production: Proton Pump Inhibitors are the drugs that lower the production of gastric juice by blocking gastric cells in the stomach which produce Hydrochloric acid in the stomach that causes acidity. Doctors prescribe you Proton Pump Inhibitors Drugs like omeprazole, lansoprazole, rabeprazole, esomeprazole, and pantoprazole etc.
- Medicines that neutralize stomach acid: Some medicines neutralize your stomach acid and give you fast relief in pain called Antacids such as Gaviscon, Gelusil, Maalox, Mylanta, Rolaids and Pepto-Bismol etc.
- Medicines that protect stomach inner lining: Doctor prescribes you medicine that prevents further damaging of stomach inner lining and decreases ulcer pain. These medicines include sucralfate and misoprostol.
6. Herbal Medicines for Stomach ulcer pain:
Some herbs play a vital role in the treatment of stomach ulcers and give you relief from ulcer pain. This makes you feel better before going to bed. These herbal medicines don’t have a negative effect on your health. These medicines make your digestive system healthy and active and decrease acid reflux. These medicines are:
- Relieves ulcer pain.
- Reduces extra secretion of stomach acid.
- Prevents acid reflux.
- Relieves heartburn, bloating and gas.
- Relieves stomach related problems like GERD.
- Neutralize stomach acid.
- Heal heartburn.
- Heal stomach ulcer.
- Cures indigestion.
- Treats gastritis.
- Prevents stomach related problems like GERD and ulcer.
- Plays a major role in reducing inflammation of the stomach.
- Heal ulcer pain.
7. Home remedies for heal stomach ulcer:
Some home remedies also have good effects on stomach ulcer pain and help to reduce gastric juice secretion. Home remedies are easy to perform and applicable. We mention some home remedies that reduce ulcer pain and help you for comfortable and relaxing sleep.
- Aloe Vera is a great remedy that cures stomach ulcers. You can use Aloe Vera by the means of 2 methods either gel directly from the plant or by preparing juice from fresh Aloe Vera.
- Must take at least 1 teaspoon of honey once a day. It heals and cures stomach ulcers.
- Vitamin K is very useful for treating ulcers like it prevents bleeding from ulcers more quickly. Vitamin K deficiency causes bleeding from the ulcers caused by anaemia. We should use foods that contain rich Vitamin K like green leafy vegetables, tomatoes, Spinach etc.
- Use barley water that cures your stomach ulcer pain immediately.
Stomach ulcers cause discomfort in bed and make sleeping difficult. Many ways that help to sleep better in ulcer pain by reduction of gastric juice and acid reflux. Try to change your sleeping positions and follow good bed habits. Use healthy foods that heal your stomach ulcer like green Vegetables, fish etc. And avoid foods that cause ulcer pain like alcohol, milk etc. Use meditation and herbal medicine for curing stomach ulcers. Also home remedies help you to get rid of peptic ulcer and acid reflux. 4.