Numbness is a loss of sensation. When normally you stand or sit in the same position for a period of time, you will lose sensation in one or both legs. Numbness in feet and legs cause discomfort. If you suffer regularly from numbness in your legs and feet, you can use these natural home remedies to treat it faster and at home. If you don’t know the reason for numbness or if numbness persists for more than one hour, then consult with your doctor immediately to determine symptoms, causes and treatment of numbness properly.
Trying Home Remedies:
- Elimination Process to control the root cause of numbness: Numbness in leg and feet has many causes. To determine the cause of numbness elimination is the best process so that you can easily treat your numbness. For example, if you’re sitting cross leg and you feel numbness then uncross or straight your leg to heal it. While you’re sitting on your feet and feel numbness then release them and move them around to treat numbness. Acute or chronic back injury also causes numbness in your leg and feet. If you feel numbness in your leg and feet then check for a bug bite in your leg and feet because some bug toxins also cause numbness.
- To increase blood flow, Regularly massage your legs and feet: Numbness in legs and feet also occurs when your legs and feet don’t get proper blood supply. If you remove the blood blockage, your numbness can be treated. If you feel numbness in your legs and feet then massage your legs and feet in circular motion. Putting some pressure and attaining the kneading position might also help. But be careful about putting pressure, don’t put high pressure it may cause adverse effects.
- Wear looser, less restrictive clothing: If you wear too tight or restricted pants or jeans, it will restrict blood circulation of the leg. On the other hand, if you wear tight shoes it will restrict blood circulation to your feet. Both these restrictions cause numbness in your legs and feet. Wearing tight socks or stocking also causes numbness in legs and feet by restricting blood flow to the ankles and feet.
- Try to frequently change your body position: If you sit or stand on your legs or feet for a long duration, it will cause numbness. Keep changing the position of your legs and feet. Moving around and shifting your body weight will restore the numbness by improving blood circulation. Change your position before having numbness in your legs and feet.
- Use vitamin supplements for vitamin deficiencies: Vitamin deficiency in your body will cause numbness especially in arms, hands, legs and feet. Vitamin B complex deficiency causes numbness also known as ataxia. Numbness is also caused by Potassium, calcium, and sodium deficiencies. Treat your numbness by overcoming these deficiencies in your body. You can overcome these deficiencies by taking multivitamin supplements. Supplements also have side effects on your health. So, make sure to consult with your doctor before taking vitamin supplements.
2. Preventing Numbness:
- Manage a proper diet to lose weight if you are overweight: Increased weight is also the reason for numbness. If your body mass index (BMI) is greater than 30, which means you’re obese. Obesity is one of the biggest reasons for numbness because it will restrict blood flow in your legs and feet. If you’re diabetic along with obesity will increase diabetic neuropathy, which causes numbness in your legs and feet. Try to reduce your weight to prevent numbness. Change your diet plan and eat healthy foods in your meal to control your calories intake. Consult with the dietitian for a proper diet plan.
- Exercise to lose weight: As you know obesity is also the reason for numbness. Reducing weight is necessary to treat numbness. Exercise is one of the best ways to lose weight for every person. Doing exercises daily for 30 minutes helps you to decrease your body mass index (BMI) from 30 (obesity) to normal. Doing vigorous exercise and gym workouts help to reduce weight. If you feel numbness in legs and feet try walking, running, cycling, or swimming to move your legs and feet. Cardiovascular exercises improve blood circulation of legs and feet. It also improves blood supply to your whole body.
- Quit smoking: If you’re a smoker, you might face numbness in your legs and feet because smoking restricts and blocks blood flow to the legs and feet which leads to numbness. Smoking damages your nerves which could be a major cause of numbness, while quitting smoking helps you a lot in healing numbness.. If you face difficulties to quit smoking then consult with the doctor. Doctors will help you to create a plan to gradually decrease the smoking rate which could be reduced by joining a rehabilitation center. They will provide you an alternative of nicotine like patch or gum, which helps you to stop nicotine cravings.
- Try multiple therapies which help improve circulation: There are many other therapies to treat numbness. Therapies like acupuncture or massage therapy helps to heal numbness in leg and feet. This therapist also improves blood circulation in legs and feet which reduces risk of numbness. Consult with the doctor and discuss your condition and symptoms with them and find out which therapy is beneficial for you.
Numbness is a sensation where you feel no connection with that part of your body. You feel numbness in legs and feet when they don’t get proper blood supply. If you feel numbness then follow home remedies that treat your numbness. Firstly determine the cause of your numbness by eliminating causes one by one. Massage your legs and feet when you feel numbness to improve blood circulation. Wear loose pants and shoes to prevent blockage of blood circulation. Keep changing the position of your leg and feet to prevent numbness. You can also ask your doctor about supplements to overcome vitamins and minerals deficiency. You can take vitamin B complex, potassium, calcium, and sodium supplements to prevent numbness in legs and feet. Weight plays an important role in numbness. If your body mass index BMI is greater than 30 (obesity) then you might suffer from numbness in legs and feet. Eat a proper healthy and balanced diet with all nutrients and minerals in equal proportion to contour your calories intake. Burn your extra calories and unhealthy fats from your body by doing vigorous exercises like running, swimming etc. Stop smoking and nicotine. Do acupuncture or massage therapy to treat numbness in legs and feet.