Dandruff is a scalp condition in which tiny dry white skin flakes out and sticks to your hair. It looks bad and unhygienic especially when you are wearing dark colored clothes. However this condition can easily be treated by using anti dandruff shampoo or conditioners. You can also use anti dandruff medicines and creams to treat the condition. Some natural home remedies are also beneficial for treating dandruff, like washing your hair with diluted tea tree oil or with aloe vera gel instead of anti dandruff shampoo and conditioner. Healthy lifestyle may also help prevent dandruff. If dandruff isn’t being treated using these natural remedies and a healthy lifestyle then you should consult a doctor or dermatologist for proper treatment.
- Mixture of tea tree oil and shampoo: Concentrated tea tree oil could be dangerous for your hair. This could be fixed by mixing tea tree oil with shampoo and applying it on your scalp and hair which will help you stay away from dandruff which is caused by fungal infections. Tea tree oil has antifungal and antimicrobial properties which helps kill fungus and microbes and prevent dandruff. Try buying shampoos that contain 5% tea tree oil or you can also mix 5 to 10 drops of tea tree oil in your shampoo bottle, shake it well and then start applying it to your scalp and hair. Keep applying tea tree oil shampoo until dandruff stops. Don’t drink tea tree oil, it is toxic in nature. Concentrated tea tree oil is dangerous for your hair too. Don’t apply it on your scalp directly or it will cause irritation and itchiness. If you have skin allergies like rash, itching, stinging, or burning then avoid using tea tree oil. If tea tree oil enters your eyes, immediately wash your eyes with warm water and then consult a doctor or eye specialist for the treatment.
- Mix lemongrass oil into your shampoo: Lemongrass oil also has antimicrobial properties same as tea tree oil that prevents dandruff. Lemongrass oil also has anti-inflammatory properties that reduce inflammation in your scalp caused by dandruff. Use shampoo with 10% lemongrass oil or mix a few drops of lemongrass oil in your shampoo and shake it well and use it for washing your hair as usual. Continue this procedure for 2 to 3 weeks for treating dandruff. Don’t use concentrated lemongrass oil on your head because it will cause irritation.
- Use Aloe Vera gel to Massage your scalp: Aloe Vera gel is very beneficial for treating dandruff. Massage your scalp and hair with Aloe Vera gel and set it for at least 1 hour. After application, wash your hair and scalp with water and shampoo as usual. Do this treatment for 2 to 3 weeks until your dandruff is gone. Aloe Vera contains a high quantity of antioxidants and Amino acids. Its anti-inflammatory factor helps to heal damaged and irritating skin. Aloe Vera gel has antifungal and antimicrobial agents that prevent dandruff in your hair. Many people have allergies with aloe Vera. Make sure to check it before applying on your scalp. Put some aloe vera gel on your palm, apply it on your skin and wait for 24 hours to check whether it reacts to your skin or not. If your skin gets irritating then you are allergic to aloe vera. So, you need to consult a doctor before applying Aloe Vera if you are allergic to it. If you have sunburn and your skin is itchy, irritating and reddish then stop using aloe vera gel immediately.
- Try coconut oil treatment: Using coconut oil on your scalp and hair is very effective for treating dandruff. It also helps to treat skin problems like atopic dermatitis. Take 2 tablespoons or 30 ml of coconut oil and rub it on your scalp and set it for 15 minutes before washing your hair. You can also let it on your hair overnight if you want. Then wash your hair with warm water to remove oil from your hair and scalp. Coconut oil is in hard form, rub it in your hands or melt it down before applying to your scalp and hair. Coconut oil is easily available in your nearby stores. You can also use shampoo that contains coconut oil in it.
- Use baking soda to Wash your scalp: Baking soda contains antifungal agents that remove both fungus and dandruff from your hair. Baking soda can shed off all your dandruff easily. For application, mix 4 tablespoons or 58 grams of baking soda in ¾ cup or 180 ml of water. Put the mixture on your scalp and hair and let the mixture stay on your hair for 1 to 3 minutes and wash off your hair with water. You can add a few drops of tea tree oil in the soda mixture for more benefits. Don’t use this treatment more than once in a week otherwise it will irritate your scalp and dry your hair. You can add some moisturizing conditioner containing coconut or argan oil to reduce harsh effects of baking soda mixture.
- Use of fatty acids in your diet: Omega-3 fatty acids have the ability to improve your skin and hair condition. It also helps to prevent dandruff and other hair problems. Try including Omega-3 fatty acids to your diet to treat dandruff. Omega-3 fatty acid rich foods are fatty fish (like salmon, mackerel, and tuna), nuts, seeds, and seed oils. Daily requirement of Omega-3 fatty acids is 1.1 to 1.6 grams. You can also take Omega-3 fatty acids supplements daily to fulfill it’s requirements.
- Consume more biotin-rich foods: Biotin is an important factor for healthy hair and skin. Eating biotin rich foods such as Egg yolks, Nuts, Salmon, Liver, and Nutritional yeast helps treat dandruff and also makes your hair healthier. Biotin is an essential vitamin B which helps to treat dandruff and other skin diseases. You can also take biotin supplements but make sure to have a doctor’s prescription before use.
- Discuss with your doctor about taking zinc: Zinc is very beneficial for improving your immune system. Zinc heals your skin more quickly and faster. It improves your scalp, hair and nails health. Add foods in your diet that are rich in zinc such as red meat, shellfish, legumes (such as chickpeas and lentils), nuts and seeds, eggs, dairy products, whole grains, and potatoes. Zinc helps you increase your cell growth. You can also use zinc supplements daily with your doctor’s prescription. Zinc is a key ingredient in anti dandruff shampoo that prevents dandruff.