Depression is a psychological disorder that disturbs your mind and daily life. People suffering from depression are unable to carry out their normal life and work routines. Best way to treat depression is to consult a psychiatrist or a doctor. However, you can also try some natural remedies or tips to attain a healthy lifestyle to lower your depression. Many health and mental workouts are useful to treat depression. Both, consultation with the doctor or a psychiatrist and the use of some natural remedies together can make a great impact on your mental and physical health and help to recover from depression.
Supplements and medication:
There are many natural remedies that can help you to get rid of depression. Many people suggest some home remedies but the best remedy is to take drugs or supplements of zinc, magnesium and SAMe Complex while you also take herbal supplements like KAVA and St. John’s Wort. Drinking chameleon tea can also be beneficial for treating depression.
- Boost your mood with the use of zinc supplements: Zinc has a great impact on your mental health. Taking zinc supplements will help you to relax and stabilize your mind. Take zinc 25 mg per day to fulfill the zinc requirement. Zinc supplements will boost your mood and make you happy and would relieve depression. Before taking Zinc supplements, consult a doctor for prescription.
- For deficiencies, Use magnesium supplements: Magnesium plays an important role to treat depression. Deficiency of magnesium will lower your mood and disturb your mental health. People suffering from magnesium deficiency are likely to have depression. Take magnesium supplements to overcome this deficiency and reduce the risk of depression. Take 300 to 420 mg of magnesium daily in your diet to fulfill it’s deficiency. Magnesium will help you to recover or prevent you from depression.
- To replace natural chemicals, Take SAMe supplement: SAMe is essential nutrients produced in your body. It will give you relief from depression. If you have SAMe deficiency, you may have a higher risk of depression. Take SAMe supplements to prevent depression. Take 200- 1600 mg of SAMe supplements daily to overcome deficiency. Make sure to consult with the doctor before taking SAMe supplements or it might trigger other antidepressant medicine and cause a reaction. If you are on other medications, you shouldn’t take these supplements without your doctor’s prescription.
- For anxiety you should Try kava: Drug supplements may react with your body and cause reactions. But herbal supplements are organic and beneficial for your health. Kava is a herbal supplement that is very useful to treat depression and anxiety. Suffering from depression or anxiety? Take a kava supplement as a treatment. Take 250 mg per day for 3 weeks for treating depression and anxiety. Too much kava dose could be dangerous for you but it is a safe remedy for treating depression and anxiety.
- Use St. John’s Wort if you don’t take any other medications: St. John’s Wort is another herbal supplement that is used to treat depression. But if you are taking medicines like blood thinners, antidepressants, birth control or antibiotics it would lower the effectiveness of St. John’s Wort. So, make sure to consult a doctor before taking St. John’s Wort supplements. Don’t take this herbal medicine if you are on other medications.
- Relax with chamomile tea: Chamomile tea has a great impact on your mental health. It relaxes and stabilizes your mood. Drinking a few cups of chamomile tea daily will help you reduce your depression. It is also beneficial if you’re suffering from anxiety. Chamomile tea doesn’t contain caffeine. So it also helps you have a comfortable and relaxing sleep. You can also take these supplements but make sure to have a prescription from your doctor before taking these supplements.
2. Lifestyle Changes:
Your daily life routine is very important for your mental health. It changes your mood. Good lifestyle will boost your mood. Do exercises and workout to make your life healthier and keep your mind relaxed and comfortable. Your healthy lifestyle will prevent you from depression and anxiety.
- Exercise for at least 30 minutes a day: Exercise is very beneficial for both your mental health and physical health. Exercise releases endorphins that are very useful for treating depression. Endorphins is a hormone released by the brain that relaxes your mind and improves your mental health. Do exercise for 30 minutes daily for some weeks to keep yourself healthy and active. All healthy physical exercises are beneficial especially aerobic exercises like swimming or running helps you improve your mood. You can also continue your weight lifting exercises. Daily workouts in the garden are very healthy and good for treating depression.
- Maintain a consistent schedule for sleep: Relaxing and comfortable sleep is very important to prevent depression. Sleep disturbance is a symptom that you are suffering from depression. If you are suffering from depression, your sleep would be more or less than your normal sleep time. Make your sleep schedule strict. Make your bed routine, even on the weekends. This routine will make your sleep better. If you are facing problems while sleeping at night it’s recommended to sleep at least 7 to 9 hours every night. For good sleep, turn off all electronic devices and don’t do exercises right before bed. If you face problems during sleeping and other chronic sleeping disorders then consult your doctor for the treatment.
- Follow a healthy, balance your diet as much as possible: Eating healthy foods alsol helps you to improve your mental health. You will get healthy nutrients, minerals and vitamins from a healthy diet like fresh fruits, vegetables, lean proteins, and whole grains. A healthy diet will keep your mood happy and relaxed. Eating leafy fruits and vegetables will keep your mental health better. Balanced and healthy diet will also help to improve physical health which in turn is important for your mental health.
- Include plenty of omega-3s in your diet: Omega-3 will help to treat your depression and relax your mind to live a healthy and comfortable life. Deficiency of Omega-3 will affect your mood and cause depression in your life. Daily requirement of Omega-3 fatty acids for women is 1.1 grams per day and for men is 1.6 grams per day. Eat the foods that are rich in Omega-3 such as fish, peanuts, walnuts etc. Supplements for Omega-3 are also available in drug stores or pharmacies but you should get your doctor’s prescription before taking these supplements. Omega-3 supplements can also react with some antidepressant medicines.